Am I an Enneagram type 8?
8’s Core Motivation – I am striving to be:
- Powerful, in control, strong and fair
I focus my attention on:
- Having and maintaining power and control
- Protecting myself and others, especially when I perceive someone is weak or treated unjustly
- Situations where I feel weak or vulnerable
- Being controlled by others
- Being slowed down or held back
Typical characteristics and strengths:
- Big-hearted, generous
- Enthusiastic, compelling
- Self-confident, self-reliant
- Decisive, direct
- Just, honorable
- Protective, advocate
Typical challenges or blindspots:
- Overwhelming, forceful
- Harsh, judgmental
- Blunt, abrupt, rude
- Bossy, controlling, domineering
- Impulsive, volatile
- Noncommunicative, uncollaborative
Typical patterns and behaviors:
- I am driven, charismatic, and high-energy. I think big, bold and strategic. I like making things happen.
- I have a “go get ‘em” attitude. I take action and move fast. At times, my fast pace can be problematic and cause issues for those around me.
- I can be magnanimous and big-hearted, championing the underdog and seeking justice.
- I am comfortable with anger and use it when needed, especially to confront injustices and wrongdoing.
- People tell me I can come off as aggressive, intimidating, intense and overwhelming.
- I can get paranoid and suspicious especially when I am concerned that I am being taken advantage of.
- I often avoid expressing my feelings, as well as letting others see my vulnerabilities and weaknesses.
Considering your wings and arrows may help clarify nuances of your type.
- 8’s Wings: 7 and 9. Most of us “lean” more toward one of our two wings, sharing some behaviors with that type.
- Growth Arrow: 2. 8’s “move” toward 2 adopting 2ish behaviors and patterns for growth and development.
- Stress Arrow: 5. Where 8’s may go when they are experiencing acute stress or difficulty. Here we see the 8 demonstrate “low-side” or unhealthy type 5 behaviors.