Am I an Enneagram type 7?
7’s Core Motivation – I am striving to be:
- Excited, engaged, entertained, satisfied, content and free of constraint
I focus my attention on:
- What is new, exciting and possible
- Finding and maintaining options, especially options that are joyful and fun
- Having freedom and flexibility
- Situations where I feel constrained, limited, trapped or bored
- Uncomfortable feelings and situations by distracting myself with more pleasant options
Typical characteristics and strengths:
- Creative, imaginative
- Flexible and spontaneous
- High-energy, upbeat
- Positive, optimistic
- Idea generator and innovator
Typical challenges or blindspots:
- Follow-through and task completion (especially when tasks are mundane or perceived as mundane)
- Details, routines, structure
- Distractible, easily bored
- Dislike limitation or feeling limited
- Excessive planning
- Unfocused, scattered, frenzied
- Inconsistent and undisciplined
- Impulsive, rebellious
Typical patterns and behaviors:
- I am charming, charismatic, and high-spirited. I have a can-do attitude that often engages and excites others.
- I can be bold and daring. I am willing to take risks. This can lead to innovation, interesting experiences and fun adventures. Overdone, my risk-taking can be problematic.
- I generate ideas and put disparate things together. I am able to see possibilities and options often where others do not.
- My innate ability to reframe – turn negatives into positives – provides inspiration and hope in times of difficulty. This behavior can also be viewed as dismissive or insensitive.
- My drive to plan adventurous, fun activities and seek possibilities can be a distraction from completing tasks, leading me to neglect responsibilities.
- Because I tend to avoid bad news and negative feedback, I sometimes do not see the whole picture.
Considering your wings and arrows may help clarify nuances of your type.
- 7’s Wings: 6 and 8. Most of us “lean” more toward one of our two wings, sharing some behaviors with that type.
- Growth Arrow: 5. 7’s “move” toward 5 adopting 5ish behaviors and patterns for growth and development.
- Stress Arrow: 1. Where 7’s may go when they are experiencing acute stress or difficulty. Here we see the 7 demonstrate “low-side” or unhealthy type 1 behaviors.